Why not start the day as you mean to go on, with devilled kidneys?
This will serve two:
- 8 fresh lambs' kidneys, halved (some prefer to remove the cores as well)
- 1 small onion or shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of English mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic chopped
- Coarse ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, and gently saute the onion and garlic
- When soft, add all the other ingredients (except for the kidneys)
- Mix thoroughly, then add the kidneys and saute for a few minutes on a medium heat until cooked
Alternatively this makes an ideal lunch or dinner with saute potatoes or rice.