Restaurant Reviews

Restaurant Reviews and Food Musings

Text

Fed up with celebrity chefs drizzling sauces over undercooked pieces of meat? I am!

I regularly dine out and am happy to share my restaurant experiences, and musings on food with you.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Italian PM Insults Finnish Cuisine

Italian PM Insults Finnish Cuisine

Italian Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi, managed to upset the Finns on Tuesday by insulting the cuisine of Finland; which Italy beat to host the new European Food Safety Authority.

Berlusconi told local dignitaries, ahead of the inauguration of the EFSA in the northern Italian town of Parma:

"I've been to Finland and I had to endure the Finnish diet so I am in a position to make a comparison,"

At the opening ceremony European Commission President, Jose Manuel Barroso, would have the chance to sample Parma's famous smoked ham, Berlusconi said; and see for himself that it was better than traditional Finnish food.

Quote:

"Barroso today will be able to taste our 'culatello' as opposed to smoked herrings from Finland,".

Berlusconi reportedly told a summit of European leaders in December 2001:

"Parma is synonymous with good cuisine. The Finns don't even know what prosciutto is."

I would advise the PM not to make so free with his insults. I have worked in Finland, and can tell him that the Finns are not to be messed with.

No comments: