Restaurant Reviews

Restaurant Reviews and Food Musings

Text

Fed up with celebrity chefs drizzling sauces over undercooked pieces of meat? I am!

I regularly dine out and am happy to share my restaurant experiences, and musings on food with you.

Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Ham


I bought a magnificent 4kg smoked horseshoe gammon from my good friend Derek Stott of D and D Family Butchers for Christmas.

Here is my traditional recipe for cooking it.

Ingredients

-smoked gammon with a good layer of fat
-juniper berries
-black peppercorns
-bay leaves
-cloves
-demerara sugar
-egg yolk
-English mustard powder
-breadcrumbs

Method

-place an upturned plate in the largest saucepan you have (this stops the base of the ham burning)
-add bayleaves, juniper and peppercorn to the pot
-place ham on plate and fill with water until covered
-simmer for 20 minutes per pound
-remove rind when cooked
-score fat
-stud with cloves
-mix egg yolk, mustard and sugar into paste
-smear paste over fat
-sprinkle with breadcrumbs
-bake for 15 minutes in 180 over

Voila!

Blood marvellous!

No comments: