Restaurant Reviews

Restaurant Reviews and Food Musings

Text

Fed up with celebrity chefs drizzling sauces over undercooked pieces of meat? I am!

I regularly dine out and am happy to share my restaurant experiences, and musings on food with you.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Organic Con Trick

The Organic Con Trick

I have always been a tad skeptical about the organic food industry, the fact that so many products in supermarkets and restaurants are now labeled "organic" makes me wonder quite where these products are being farmed; given that the majority of farming in Britain relies on chemical fertilisers and pest control.

It should not be ignored that those organisations that sell "organic" produce claim a very hefty mark up for them.

Therefore I was none too surprised to read the following in The Telegraph:

"One of London's most fashionable restaurants, used by film stars and members of the Royal family, has become the first in the country to be fined for falsely claiming that meat used in a number of its dishes was organically farmed.

Julie's Restaurant and Bar was fined £7,500 after its managing director, Johnny Ekperigin, admitted three offences under the Food Safety Act 1990
."

Suffice to say, this story coupled with the recent Spanish egg scandal, has not changed my mind about "organic" produce. I continue to buy conventionally farmed produce.

No comments: